Skip links and keyboard navigation

Complaints about us

If you are not happy with your dealings with the Legal Services Commission, for instance if you think we have:

  • been rude or impolite
  • acted in an unfair or discriminatory way
  • caused unnecessary delays
  • breached your privacy, or
  • implemented polices or procedures which should be changed please contact us.

You can give us feedback at any time by phoning the Commission's officer you were dealing with, the Deputy Commissioner, or emailing At the end of the handling of a matter, complainants and respondents will often be asked to give us feedback in a survey we send out.

We take any complaint about our service, conduct and regulatory obligations seriously. Obviously, we would also like to hear from you if you are happy with the service you’ve been given by the Commission. Feedback and complaints are an opportunity for us to improve our business processes.

If you are dissatisfied with how we handled your matter, information is provided here about what you can do.

Step 1 - Try to resolve issues informally

The single most effective way to resolve any concerns is to discuss it with the officer handling your matter. To enable us to deal with any complaints promptly, raise your concerns with the officer handling your matter by phone. If they are not available when you call, they will contact you by phone or in writing as soon as possible to try to promptly resolve your concerns.

If you remain unhappy with the response from the Commission’s officer, ask to speak to the Deputy Commissioner. They will be happy to discuss your concerns with you and your options.

We obviously aim to resolve your complaint informally but, if after contacting both the Commission’s officer and the Deputy Commissioner you remain dissatisfied, you may choose to make a formal complaint. For more information see our complaint management policy.

Step 2 - Making a formal complaint

If we have not been able to resolve your concerns informally you will need to make a formal complaint. Formal complaints must be in writing and addressed to:

Deputy Commissioner
Legal Services Commission
PO Box 10310
Brisbane Adelaide Street Qld 4000

Alternatively, you can email your complaint to:

Step 3 - What happens then?

  • You will receive acknowledgement of your correspondence within 14 days.
  • The Deputy Commissioner, after assessing your complaint, may decide that an investigation is required.
  • The Deputy Commissioner will then conduct an independent assessment of the content of your complaint and will undertake to resolve the matter and provide a written response and outcome to you within 28-60 days depending on the complexity of the investigation.

Step 4 - What happens if you remain dissatisfied after the internal investigation?

If after receiving a response to your complaint you are still dissatisfied you may complain, depending on the nature of your complaint, to an external agency such as the Queensland Ombudsman. However, if your complaint was about a breach of privacy and you remain dissatisfied with how we dealt with your concerns, you should contact the Information Commissioner.

Acknowledgment: This document is based on and draws from complaint management material provided by the Legal Services Commission (Vic), Office of the Information Commissioner, Queensland Ombudsman and Department of Justice and Attorney General.

Last reviewed
20 April 2018
Last updated
23 May 2018

Rate this page

  1. How useful was the information on this page?