Speeches and papers
2014 - 2011
- Family Law Complaint Trends - a paper presented at the QLS Family Law Residential, Gold Coast, 8 August 2014.
- Costs, Regulatory Failure and Regulatory Futures - a paper presented at the Legalwise Seminars Personal Injury Law Conference, Brisbane, 28 March 2014.
- Review of the Legal Services Regulatory Framework 2013 - a submission in response to the call for evidence issued by the British Ministry of Justice, 30 August 2013.
- Counting the costs - a paper presented at the National Costs Lawyers Conference, Melbourne, 15 February 2013.
- Regulating for Risk : A paper presented to the Conference of Regulatory Officers 2011, Sydney, 13 October 2011
- The Pressures of Billable Hours : lessons from a survey of billing practices inside law firms, Parker, C. & D. Ruschena, University of St Thomas Law Journal, 2011, 9(2), 618-663.
- At what cost, costs? (PDF File, 819.6 KB): a paper presented to the 49th Vincents' Annual QLS Symposium 2011, 25 March 2011.
- Ethics inside law firms (PDF File, 407.0 KB): an overview and summary of a paper titled The Queensland Workplace Culture Check: Learning from Reflection on Ethics Inside Law Firms presented to the International Legal Ethics Conference IV, Stanford Law School, California USA, 16 July 2010. The full article has been published in the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics: Workplace Culture Check: Learning from Reflection on Ethics Inside Law Firms (2011) Parker, C and Aitken, L. Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics, vol 24, issue 2
- Lawyer Regulation, Consciousness-Raising and Social Science : a paper presented to the International Legal Ethics Conference IV, Stanford Law School, California USA, 16 July 2010.
- Submission to the National Legal Profession Reform Taskforce - Business Management and Control: the Compliance Audit Power . June 2010.
- The business of ethics : University of Queensland Alumni Lunchtime Lecture, 12 May 2010.
- National legal profession reform and the regulation of the future : a paper presented to the 48th Annual St Vincents' QLS Symposium 2010, 27 March 2010.
- Evidence in legal profession disciplinary hearings : changing the lawyers paradigm: reprinted from the University of Queensland Law Journal, Volume 28, No. 2, February 2010 with the kind permission of the journal and the publishers.
- Competence in Caring in Legal Practice : an article published in the International Journal of the Legal Profession, Volume 16, 2, 2009.
- Rethinking the regulation of lawyer conduct: The centrality of law firm management and ethical infrastructures : a paper presented at the ALPMA National Conference, Gold Coast, 15 August 2009.
- The changing face of lawyer regulation :a paper presented to the 47th Annual Vincents' QLS Symposium 2009, 28 March 2009.
- Wounding the bull - costs in a disciplinary context : a paper presented at the LegalWise Seminars Best Billing Practice 2009 Seminar, Brisbane, 18 March 2009.
- Lawyers, Emotional Distress and Regulation : Bar Association of Queensland annual conference, March 2009.
- Ethical issues in personal injuries practice : advertising restrictions and guidelines: a paper presented at the Australian Lawyers Alliance Queensland State Conference, Brisbane, 13 February 2009.
- Ethical considerations for the personal injury practitioner : a paper presented to the Lexis Nexis Queensland Personal Injury Conference, Brisbane, 14 November 2008.
- Professional discipline against female lawyers in Queensland : a gendered analysis: a paper presented to the International Legal Ethics Conference. The finalised manuscript is available on-line through AGIS Full Text and Hein Online.
- Incorporated legal practices: Dragging the regulation of the legal profession into the modern era : a paper presented at the Third International Legal Ethics Conference, Gold Coast, Australia 13-16 July 2008.
- The restrictions on advertising personal injury services : paper presented at the Queensland Law Society Personal Injuries and Insurance Law Conference 2008, 11 July 2008.
- A Queensland perspective on the regulation of ethics in the legal profession: paper presented at The Seventh LSRC International Conference, Reaching Further : New Approaches to the Delivery of Legal Services, The Royal Naval Academy, Greenwich, London, 18-20 June 2008
- Costs in a disciplinary context : charging excessive costs in connection with the practice of law: paper presented at a symposium co-hosted by the Legal Services Commission and the Griffith Law School, 15 May 2008.
- Complaints about lawyers : regulation, representation and restorative justice: Bar Association of Queensland annual conference, 17 February 2008.
- Ethics in the real world : paper given to various compulsory professional development workshops on ethics, 2007.
- Regulating the provision of legal services by incorporated legal practices : paper presented to the Conference of Regulatory Officers, Brisbane, 2 November 2007.
- Unsatisfactory professional conduct : paper presented at a symposium co-hosted by the Legal Services Commission and Griffith University Law School, 19 July 2007.
- Ethics and the personal injuries lawyer: compliance, spiritless compliance, skilful and other evasions . Queensland Law Society Personal Injuries Conference, 29 June 2007.
- The Legal Services Commission : An update. Bar Association of Queensland annual conference, 16–18 March 2007.
- Creative practice or profiteering? Panel presentations to a workshop co-hosted by the Legal Services Commission and the Griffith Law School, 7 September 2006.
- The system for dealing with complaints : The Commission’s approach, Bar Association of Queensland annual conference, 5 March 2006.
- The Legal Services Commission—One Year On . QUT Faculty of Law Trilby Misso Free Public Lecture Series, 26 October 2005.
- QUT graduation ceremony for law and business . Queensland University of Technology, 05 April 2005.
- The Legal Services Commission : An overview. Various District Law Associations, September–November 2004.
- National performance criteria and benchmarks for handling complaints against lawyers . Conference of Regulatory Officers, Auckland, 21–22 October 2004.